Thursday, May 8, 2008

We're home!  I'll tell a little about our last day in France (sunday) just so I can have it all recorded.  Sunday we took the train to Versaille.  John had never been and I loved my time there in the past looking and wondering around the huge gardens.  It was a sunny warm day, the first day like that in over a week.  I used my umbrella (that I had been using most days for the rain) as a shade.  There were So many people there.  It seemed like a crazy amount to me.  The first part of the gardens with all the big fountains was for people paying to get in.  We did that.  They piped in classical music all throughout that part.  It was very beautiful and again, surreal.  The flowers weren't overly impressive like they had been when I was there in June.  As we traveled further down the gardens we entered a part of the gardens that was open to the public for free.  That's when the real crowds began.  So many people picnicking, riding bikes, rowing boats in the huge man made pond.  Lots of families which made it interesting but not exactly tranquil.  We walked I think for miles.  I really wanted to see Marie Anntoinettes "cottage"  that she liked to escape the formality of the main house for.  We never found it.  

last night I google earthed it and we were so close!  Just yards away in a garden that expands for miles!  Oh well.  A good day regaurdless.

1 comments:

Brynn said...

This entry is no good without pictures!!! We NEED pics!

I'm glad you had fun, but am really glad you're back.