Friday, August 29, 2008

Life is Good

I'm just gonna do it.  My posts are getting more boring by the day.  The problem?  I left my camera charger at Wendys house in calif. so I don't have any current pictures to add.  A somewhat boring post.  Nothing terribly exciting happening on the homefront.   I've been shopping with kids getting school clothes.  Tomorrow I'll tackle school supplies.  Branson is starting at a new school that was built over the summer right by our house.  It'll be nice to have it so close.  Emily is starting her second year in middle school (seventh grade) and Christopher will be a sophomore.  It's so hard and crazy having a kid in every school.  I know lots of you have had that and more, I'm just sayin...  

Last week I attended Education Week at BYU.  It was SO awesome.  I hadn't been in a few years and I had forgotten how much I loved it.  It will be a definate priority next summer and the summers to come.  I feel like a sponge soaking up all this knowledge when I'm there.  I LOVE IT.  It's like taking classes that you really WANT to take and not having any tests or grades.  Those are good things for me.  It was also a blast having my mom, all four of my sisters, my sister-in-law Amanda, my aunt Joyce and my cousin Jaylene there!  We laugh a LOT.  Wendy and Jaylene are I think the two funniest people that I know.  The highlight though had to be my aunt Joyce trying to get up on the bed for pictures of her and my mom jumping on the bed.  Aunt Joyce has two bad knees and a bad hip.  We were trying all kinds of creative ways to get her up on that bed standing.  One idea was to use the trash can in the room by turning it upside down so she could use it as a stepping stool.  MY mom said with much intensity "oh Joyce it's plastic it's gonna go!!!"  You prolly had to be there but I laughed SOOO hard that my back hurt and I was crying.  You can't buy that kind of therapy (and I'd know).  Another highlight was looking at all the art that they had in the book store on campus.  They had a large art show with artists there to sign pictures and what not.  It was fun and interesting to meet the artists.  Anyone that knows me knows how much I love art.  There was one artist in particular that was simply amazing.  Her name is Liz Lemon Swindle.  Her paintings of the savior had So much emotion in them it's hard to put into words.  After a few minutes of looking at her work my sisters and I were all crying (A LOT).  Then we would look at eachother and laugh lol.  We're not really the emotional type.  I've never had visual art move me like that before.  She really captured the savior and I felt like I knew him better after looking at her work.  That's the best I can describe it.  I wanted to buy EVERYTHING. lol

swindle - prince of peace.jpg

The Prince of peace


swindle-let-the-children-co.gif

Let the Children Come


5005798.jpg

The worth of a soul


This painting just kills me.  Two stories for this one.  First I'll try the best I can to tell the artists story.  Her son told it to me.  She went to Africa to do the photo shoot for the picture (she paints from her photos) taking her Jesus model with her.  There is some organization there that cares for orphans and they arranged to have a group of the children from it to meet them for the photo shoot.  When they got there all the children were shy and apprehensive about going over to this unknown white man.  The only child that would go to him (at first) was this little baby boy he's holding.  Just days before that baby was rescued from a garbage can with his brother.  They were literally living in the trash can while their 9 year old sister was out prostituting herself to feed them.  In the large painting you can see the soul of this beautiful child in the eyes.  I don't know how she paints that, but she just does.  Next story.  My sister Wendy has  good friend that is on a mission in South Africa.  This friend had lots of small copies of this painting to hand out to people in South Africa.  When she gave the picture to one woman the woman looked at it and said with emotion "you mean Jesus loves black babies too?"  Kleenex time.....

   

2 comments:

FamiLee said...

I have seen that particylar piece of the one in Africa. I cried when I walked by it, I went back and soaked it all in. I have never been told the story...Thank you for sharing this...it makes me really think of my blessings...and hey, maybe life is not that bad!

Thank You!

mimi said...

Kathy I loved your blog today!!! This artist is amazing! Some of the pics I've seen before and loved them but didn't know who the artist was. I feel the great emotion too when I see them. That story totally made me cry. Wow we do have SOOOOOOO much to be thankful for!!!!! I am SOOOOOOO Thankful!!! Thanks for the reminder:)!!! I loved hearing about your education week adventures with your aunt and sisters etc.:)